- Graduate Research School
- The doctorate
- Training courses
- After the doctorate
A defense takes place in several stages. To be held in good conditions, it is essential to plan ahead and keep to the timetable below. The steps described below also cover co-supervised thesis defenses.
Before the thesis defense
Two months at the latest before the defense thesis :
The doctoral student must log on to his/her personal ADUM space (http://www.adum.fr) and follow the procedure indicated in "I will be defending my thesis within 3 months":
- Carefully update all the forms: marital status, contact details, the date and the details of the defense, your professional project and the date on which you are available, your future professional position if you know it.
- Record your defense details, and indicate clearly the names of the reviewers “rapporteurs” and jury members, as well as their full contact details on the ”soutenance” page
- At least six weeks before the defense, you should file the final version of your thesis in PDF format. Recommendations for writing your thesis
- Fill in the confidential thesis information, co-supervised thesis, etc
- defenses for the first half of September should be returned before 30 June
- defenses for the second half of September should be returned before 15 July
- defenses for the first half of January should be returned before 1 November
The thesis supervisor :
- Receives an email informing him/her of the defense
- Checks the information related to the defense and agrees via Adum
The admission office :
- Checks the jury's compliance (4 to 8 members - Art.18 decret of 25th May 2016)
- Allocates a designated administrator to manage the defense
The Doctoral School :
- Receives an email to check the jury members
- Requests the publications and the training courses (if applicable)
- Approves the thesis defense via ADUM
After approval from the doctoral school, an e-mail is automatically sent to the doctoral student and the thesis supervisor.
At least two weeks before the defense :
The reviewers :
- Submit their thesis reports via the ADUM interface
The admissions office :
- Is responsible for ensuring the defense authorization is signed by the University President, if the result is favorable
- Sends a copy of the reports to the whole jury and the candidate
At least three days before the defense :
The doctoral student and the thesis supervisor are informed that the defense is authorized. They can download all the documents related to the defense from their personal space on ADUM.
After the thesis defense
The thesis supervisor or the jury Chairman :
- Returns all the original documents signed by all members of the jury to the designated administrator,
- The thesis supervisor takes no further part in the jury’s deliberations,
- The Chairman of the jury must send the defense report within one month.
The designated administrator :
- Informs the new doctoral graduate of the final formalities and procedures for collecting their doctorate certificate (two issues per year in September and January) or a certificate of achievement pending the issuing of the doctorate certificate.
Submiting your thesis
One month after the defense (three months at the latest if you have to make corrections requested by the jury):
The doctoral student provides the final PDF version of the thesis (for archiving and / or publication).
Upon receipt of the official defense documents, the doctoral student will be contacted by the manager to deposit the thesis directly from the Adum personal account. He / She will have to make an appointment with the thesis documentation department an online application.
This new version is mandatory to obtain the certificate of achievement and the qualification.
For the day of the appointment, they must download the following documents from ADUM :
- 2 copies of thediffusion contract
- the conformity certificate
- the certificate with the corrections made signed by the thesis supervisor or the chairman of the jury ( if you have to make corrections requested by the jury)
Benefits of online publication :
- Speed of processing: an online thesis is quickly available after the defense.
- Improved access: an online thesis is, with the author’s agreement, accessible from anywhere in the world, by a wide audience, at any time.
- Sustainability and protection of the thesis: archiving and publication in an institutional setting is the best way to guarantee the author’s rights, the integrity of the document permanent access to the document.
- Relevant indexing and reporting: metadata which describe the document according to standardized rules enabling the creation of databases suitable for theses.
Publication platforms :
In addition to its availability on Thèses.fr, the University of Bordeaux publishes defended theses on two platforms via the STAR application :
- TEL: : Open archive platform, developed by the CCSD, specially designed for theses, TEL TEL is a specific HAL (online Hyper-article) that allows scientific documents to be available quickly and free of charge. The data on the TEL archive are exported to the DART-Europe E-theses Portal et Europeana.
- Abes hosting platform : platform for storing and accessing the full text of theses without a specific consultation interface The Thèses.fr portal, Sudoc and Babord+ libraries catalog also play this role
Publication contract :
The publication contract links the author of the thesis and the institution where it is defended, specifying the how the thesis may be used and published.
If a publication contract is already signed with the establishment where the defense takes place, the doctoral student may publish his/her thesis with another commercial publisher, but without any exclusivity.
Nevertheless, the doctoral student owns the rights to use his/her work due to his/her status as author. He/she may therefore postpone publication of his/her work by agreeing an embargo when signing the publication contract with the institution where the thesis was defended.
- Embargo and confidentiality : are similar concepts when publishing a thesis. For more information, read the document "Concepts and confidentiality of doctoral theses".
- Refusal to publish online : If the author refuses to publish his/her thesis on the Internet, the institution where it was defended will ensure it can be consulted internally (see article 25 de l'arrêté du 25 mai 2016). To find out how to refuse online publication, contact doc-thesesNum@u-bordeaux.fr
Whatever the medium, the risk of plagiarism always exists. However, when published online, the plagiarist takes a greater risk as everyone has access to the source document. In summary, the wider the publication of a document, the more difficult it becomes to steal extracts without being detected.
Using an article in a thesis ?
Under certain conditions, a thesis can include the contents of an article submitted for publication or already published. We recommend however that you check your publishing contracts (digital reproduction, archiving, embargo rights, etc.), request authorization from co-authors (text and illustrations) if necessary and check the publishers’ policies regarding online filing of articles (or within a thesis published online).
Two sites summarize publishers’ policies :
They will tell you, for each publisher or journal, the conditions you must comply with and the versions of the article that you can publish :
- pre-prints (pre-publication or "author’s version") of a submitted article
- post-prints (post-publication) validated with corrections from the reading committee but without the publisher’s layout
- publisher’s version (corrections + layout)
Updated on 04/06/2020
Head of Admissions Office
Talence Campus - Build. A33 – Off. 61
351 cours de la Libération (Tram B – Stop Forum or Peixotto)
33405 TALENCE Cedex
+33 (0)5 40 00 38 97
Contact by email
+33 (0)5 40 00 38 68
Contact by email
Thesis submition and publication
The Documentation Department
Bibliothèque Universitraire sciences et technologies (Tram B - Arrêt Arts et métiers)
Allée de Beaudrimont CS 70001
33405 TALENCE Cedex